Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Grandma's Hands


Sad news from the Valley of the Sun came today as my Mother's Mother has passed away at 99.

This Iowa farm lady (pictured on one of a few visits she made to the Not So Vast Right Wing Ranch) was...

Amazing -- she flew back to visit my Mom as her daughters life was drawing to a close.

Wise -- her knowledge came from life and was well beyond the grade school education she was not allowed to complete because she was a girl.

Strong -- she kept going and persevered after burying her husband (in the early 1960s) as well as three of her 12 children.

Although I always loved my Grandmother, there was a time when I was young that I did not like her.

She was still living on the farm, which I did not enjoy because I was a big city of Des Moines kid, and she would yell at the dozens of grandkids for continually running in and out of the house.

I told her one time, on one of my visits to the Phoenix area, that I didn't like her much when I was growing up.

She smiled and said that was okay because she didn't care that much for me then either.

We both laughed hard at that.

Grandma loved that I had moved to the country.

I will miss her stories and insight, and I am sad she won't be able to celebrate 100 this fall, which I new she wanted, but she went peacefully and is reunited with her husband and children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home