Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Our First "Real" Date
















She likes me for me!

It still stuns me and I know my friends can't figure it out, but my wife Chris is still with me.

Technically it all began 19 years ago today, Happy Anniversary Babe! The peach rose is for You!!

I say technically & "real" date, because I tricked her into going with me to a concert before actually asking her out.

In 1987 we were both working at KFMD/103.3 in Des Moines. I was an On-Air Personality and single, Chris did News and was single too. I had a crush on Chris, but she was too good for me.

The Production/Promotions Director, Bob Weidig, had as part of his duties the writing of commercials and assigning them to be recorded. One day he needed Chris & I to voice a "spot" together.

It was during this recording session that Bob suggested Chris & I go out. Chris' response was that wouldn't be a "real" date. OUCH!

Needless to say I didn't pursue her, but like Jimmy Carter says, lusted after her in my heart.

A few months later the Iowa State Fair was nearing and KFMD had received free tickets to give-away for the Chicago concert, 1987 line-up pictured.

I knew Chris liked Chicago and Bob would be passing out tickets for the staff. I told Bob to save two and not let Chris know he had any. I thought I would use that as leverage for a date.

Bob came into the studio one day when I was on-air, he was panicked.

Chris had found out about the Chicago tickets and was asking about them. I told Bob the new plan was that he was to tell Chris there were only two tickets left and he had promised one to me. It worked!

On the day of the concert, Chris suggested I meet her there. Radio & TV Stations get free admission & parking passes to the fair, Chris had parking passes. I said we should go together and offered to pick her up. She didn't want me to know where she lived, AGAIN OUCH!, so she said she would drive and picked me up.

It was a cool & rainy night, but the grandstand was covered. The concert was nice, but the company was better.

I was a real gentleman and guided her through the crowd and the puddles.

When she dropped me off at my house, I leaned in real close to kiss her.

Instead I told her I'd had a nice time for a not "real" date and then I got out of her car.

I believe she cursed me and left.

That all set the stage for me asking her to a movie as our first "real" date.

I took Chris to 'The Fourth Protocol' , pictured, with Michael Caine and Pierce Brosnan at the River Hills/Riviera. It was weak, but like before the company was much better!

And we're still together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home