Sunday, July 16, 2006

30 years past the Polar Bears


My high school reunion was held Friday & Saturday, I boycotted.

I was first contacted last fall, and waffled a bit about going. I think it's only natural to wax nostalgic about ones youth as you get older.

A few classmates contacted me and wanted me to go and my twin sister told my wife she wanted to go with us. Although I wasn't keen on it, I was going to go.

Then an e-mail was sent, from the reunion committee, that had a distribution list that they forgot to supress. Contained in the addresses of classmates were the names of three people who went to school with us, but moved before we graduated.

I contacted the comittee member who sent out the e-mail and inquired about including the three. I was told that, "There have always been several individuals that have expressed an interest in coming to our reunions even though they may not have graduated with our class. We have always included anyone who has requested to be a part."

That's fine, I actually was looking forward to seeing two of them, but why the secret? What wasn't fine was how it was done, in secret by a committee(clique). I asked that they contact all our classmates to advise them that the reunion was open to all, I thought it was the right thing to do. The committee member didn't do that and I decided I didn't want to be a part of their reunion. I told my sister and some classmates about why I wouldn't be going. It's too bad, but it all seemed so HIGH SCHOOL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home