Monday, August 14, 2006

People STILL come, Take that Oscar


It's an understatement to say I was unhappy when 'Field of Dreams' lost Best Picture to 'Driving Miss Daisy' in 1990. I haven't watched their telecast since.

I felt a connection to that movie. Because it was filmed mostly in Iowa? Maybe. Because it's a baseball movie? Possibly.

I know it's touched numerous others too! Since the movies release they come to connecting corn fields, in Dyersville, that hold a baseball diamond.

Chris and I visited one fall on our way to Dubuque to see her grandfather.

It was a cold and damp day and there was a steady stream of people who made the journey, including a film crew from Japan.

Friday, Kevin Costner returned for the first time since the filming. 5,000 people came to see him, his band and a showing of the classic. It's guesstimated that more than 65,000 people visit each year and 1 million have visited in the last 17 years. It's not because they go to Iowa City and get really, really bored.

How many people have ever made the pilgrimage to Atlanta to see where Miss Daisy was filmed? That's where Hollyweird messed up.

A lady from Missouri made the 8 hour trip to the field Friday, with her family....."I can't watch it even today without feeling the way I did the first time. It was the first time I saw my dad cry - and the last time."

I bet it's at the part, nearly at the end, when Ray Kinsella says, "Dad, do you wanna have a catch?"

My mind instantly takes me back to when my dad would make time to have a catch too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home