Friday, August 11, 2006

Best State Fair, in our State


I can remember when I actually enjoyed the Iowa State Fair.

I can remember when I enjoyed winter too, but the older I get the more those memories fade.

Chris, my wife, LOVES the fair.

She loves that nothing, for all intents and purposes, changes from year to year.

Ironically, that's the same exact reason I despise the place.

I know they've enclosed the Varied Industries Building, I really enjoyed that in November 2004 when President Bush held a rally there on a cold, rainy day.

I make it my mission to avoid the fair every year and I can't remember the last time we were there together. I do love my wife, so I did offer to take her last year and it wasn't a hollow gesture. Thank goodness she said no.

I became disillusioned when I was in radio and had to be there every day to broadcast, then race back to the station to do my regular show. It was hot, I became sweaty, I suffered from allergies, and people got quite rude over fair giveaways.

It was during this time that they changed the lemonade I loved, by adding oranges (?)

I also found out that the Butter Cow is not completely made from butter. It's spread over a steel frame, it was almost like when you found out your parents were Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

The song tells you.... "Don't miss it, don't even be late!"

I DON'T!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home