Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It Was Just A Matter Of Time


I have no doubt that I'm being overly sensitive to the fact my mother will undergo five hours of chemotherapy today for lung cancer, the same type that killed my father 31 years ago.

That being written, it should come as no surprise that I'm agitated by the editorial board of the Ragister that is all too willing, and unqualified, to play God.

Look at cost, benefits of cancer treatments

President Barack Obama has repeatedly stressed the need for this country to conduct more effectiveness research to find out which medical treatments get the best results for patients. In a country on track to spend $2.5 trillion on health care this year, we cannot afford to pay for unnecessary or ineffective care.

Do you really want to lead with President Obama?

Obama refused to pledge that he wouldn't seek such extraordinary help for his wife or daughters if they became sick and the public plan he's proposing limited the tests or treatment they can get.

"it's my family member, if it's my wife, if it's my children, if it's my grandmother, I always want them to get the very best care".

The Ragister continues with...

It only makes sense that when treatments are proven not to work - or to prolong life only a short period of time - then our society has to make some decisions about spending huge sums of money on them.

Let's look at spending huge sums of money.

Does it make sense for folks who call 911 to be taken to the hospital for a free meal and a place to sleep?

One such person has cost the medical system an estimated $3.9 million.

In Camden New Jersey, $46 million has been spent on 1,035 "patients" over a five-year period.

Then there's this Iowan who's costing taxpayers $3,000 a day.

The examples I've cited may, or may not be necessary, but it is care that is mandated by law.

The Ragister quotes a study that found treating lung-cancer patients with a particular drug costing $80,000 for an 18-week supply extended life by 1.2 months - which translates into $800,000 to extend someone's life by one year.

One month?

One year?

Those decisions are far above Obama's and the Ragisters pay grade.

It doesn't surprise me that people who don't value the innocent life of an unborn baby have us now at this crossroads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home