Thursday, October 01, 2009

It's All In The Game


I didn't know Dic Youngs well.

Because of radio, we had mutual friends like Cal Stout and Lee Githens, our paths crossed occasionally and he was always nice to me.

I think the first time we met was on a basketball court, in the mid '80s, when I was with KLYF and the station team (WHO TV & Radio Owls) played Youngsie's KIOA High Hoopers, so named because the company that one time did ratings of radio stations was named Hooper and KIOA always had High Hoopers.

The Ol' Youngster had given up playing then and was just coaching, but he liked to win as he had a few ringers on the team (Rick Wanamaker).

Dic and I also got a few on-air laughs one year during the Variety Club telethon when at, 6'8", I towered over him during an interview at the phone bank.

I remember we decided if we could get some dollars for each inch of height the telethon could end early.

I do recall this Tommy Edwards tune was his all time favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home