Friday, September 17, 2010

Culver's Job Numbers


I've documented numerous times about the considerable math skills of the Big Lug Nut and the Lug-ettes (Mathletes).

The number he gave, during Tuesday night's debate, for new job creation in Iowa since December -16,000 - called those skills into question for me again.

At first it seemed high, but when you take into consideration that I-JOBS has allegedly created 7,000 new jobs (apparently in July alone) that doesn't really seem like a lot and the scientific community is united in that fact.

I can't help but wonder why Culver can create 16,000 jobs in a matter of months, but it will take two more years for that total to possibly top 23,000.

Why has it taken three years for the state Economic Development Board and the Iowa Department of Economic Development (IDED) to create nearly 21,000 jobs in Iowa?

Why will it take Terry Branstad five years to create nearly 13,000 jobs?

I thought I'd ask the experts, so I e-mailed Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) for more information about the 16,000 new jobs.

IWD responded that they are only able to track new jobs after they are created and individuals have begun working.

But, these 16,000 jobs have been created since December.

They also referred me to the Governor's Office as they have a tracking mechanism for the jobs created through I-JOBS.

I haven't done that because, Culver never claimed them to be I-JOBS and his office doesn't have the best history in responding to people.

We'll have a new Governor before they'd get back to me, which would make the query moot, as I believe Culver makes up numbers to try and make himself look good.

I contacted IDED and was told my request was forwarded to two other people and I have yet to hear back from either of them.

To be continued?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home