Sunday, September 21, 2008

Is that all there is?

I often think of that Peggy Lee tune when something doesn't live up to my expectations.

Such is the case for Yankee Stadium, for that matter New York City and the scientific community is united in that fact.

Today, the last game will be played in what has often been called The House That Ruth Built.

In September of 2004, Chris and I had the opportunity to see a couple of games in the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry.

We headed to the Stadium early before the last game to take the tour of Monument Park in Left-Center Field.

There are three original standing monuments to Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Miller Huggins, numerous other plaques have been added over the years.

I remember as a kid seeing Yankee games on TV, back then the three monuments were actually on the field of play. I recall thinking they were tombstones with them buried beneath and believing it was rude for the players to retrieve balls hit out there.

Chris' favorite part was when the grounds crew swept the infield and changed the bases all the while performing to the Village People's YMCA.


















Four years ago the stadium seemed so old and seamy, but I'll admit that I am a bit torn to see a piece of history razed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home