Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Media-ocrocy Part II

It has been a week since I sent this e-mail to WHO TV13, and I have yet to receive a reply. At least when I e-mailed Dave Busiek, KCCI TV8, he responded within a day. Here's the scenerio: DM Ragister columnist Rob Borsellino has ALS and rich guy Bob Knapp paid Merle Haggard & Bob Dylan to fly into Des Moines for a fundraising concert for ALS in Borsellino's honor. Borsellino is a huge Dylan fan and in his high school yearbook had submitted his dream of meeting the worn out symbol of the 60s. Borsellino did get the opportunity to meet Dylan and has written about it in the Ragister previously. Thanks to Borsellino's then neighbor, Borsellino was introduced to the mumbling, nasally singer and stuck out his hand to shake Dylan's . Dylan just looked at him and Borsellino's neighbor said something similar to, "You said you wanted to meet him, you didn't say you wanted to shake his hand". So Friday April 21 was the night of the concert at the Val Air Ballroom and TV13 was airing a piece about the concert, only their angle was that Borsellino was finally going to get to meet his idol. What? I know tv news people read the Ragister and the day before Borsellino had another column about how he had met Dylan. Thus requiring this e-mail to TV13 management.

I was a long time TV8 viewer and recently switched because of their inability to report the facts correctly. So, I was a little dismayed when I caught the piece about the ALS concert on last nights news, and the written story on your website today, that played up Borsellino hoping to meet Dylan. According to Borsellino himself, DM Register 4/20 Iowa Life section, "Not what I had in mind, but I met Bob Dylan". I know this was not the first time the Borsellino and the Register have shared this information. All I want in the news are the correct facts. Thank you

In the immortal words of Sgt. Joe Friday, "Just the facts ma'am"! Oh well, I am expecting too much from a company owned by The New York Times

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home