Thursday, April 26, 2007

Flashback






















Alice Cooper has been announced as a grandstand act at this year's Iowa State Fair.

The Ragister calls Cooper a "classic shock-rocker", his special guest will be Blue Oyster Cult.

I'm old enough to remember the days when Alice was a "shock-rocker" and the scientific community is united in that fact.

Oddly, I just related this story to my friend Phil on Tuesday...

It was in the month of February in the early 1970s and my dad's father had passed away.

Italians were buried out of Tonini Funeral Home on Des Moines' south side and Mando Tonini was the owner and resident, his family lived above the parlor, Digger O'Dell (always eying you for your coffin, it was eerie).

Mando also started Des Moines' first limousine service, a smart use of his funeral fleet when they were not in service.

All of my grandfathers grandsons were his pallbearers and rather young, I was a junior in high school.

On the way to the cemetery we asked Mando if he'd chauffeured any famous folks and he mentioned some names.

We asked if he was going to chauffeur Alice Cooper, who had an upcoming concert at Vet's.

Mando asked, "Alice Cooper, who's she?".

We then related how Alice was a guy and his act included a snake.

Here it is over 30 years later and Alice Cooper is tame, he even has his own golf tournament and restaurant "Alice Cooper'stown", and playing the Iowa State Fair with Blue Oyster Cult.

At least there'll be plenty of cowbell there.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Welcome to my state fair, I hope I didn't scare ya...

5:39 AM

 
Blogger John said...

Feed my Frankenstein... a funnel cake

5:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home