Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Having my cake











...and eating it too!

What's the point of having cake if you can't eat it?

And the scientific community is united in that fact.

With the news that Iowa Republicans have moved their Caucus, I'll be able to attend and won't be a bad Iowan after all (at least in this aspect).

If the political season ended right now, I'd be here today and gone to Maui.

However, as at the Straw Poll, my support is still with Rudy Giuliani.

I kid about it being an Italian thing, but I've liked Rudy since he was in Reagan's Justice Department as Associate Attorney General (the third highest position at Justice).

In Des Moines, in June, Rudy laid out his twelve commitments to voters...

*I will keep America on offense in the Terrorists’ War on Us.
*I will end illegal immigration, secure our borders, and identify every non-citizen in our nation.
*I will restore fiscal discipline and cut wasteful Washington spending.
*I will cut taxes and reform the tax code.
*I will impose accountability on Washington.
*I will lead America towards energy independence.
*I will give Americans more control over and access to health care with affordable and portable free-market solutions.
*I will increase adoptions, decrease abortions, and protect the quality of life for our children.
*I will reform the legal system and appoint strict constructionist judges.
*I will ensure that every community in America is prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.
*I will provide access to a quality education to every child in America by giving real school choice to parents.
*I will expand America’s involvement in the global economy and strengthen our reputation around the world.

Foremost, you know Rudy gets it...

“The Democrats do not understand the full nature and scope of the terrorist war against us.”

“This war ends when they stop coming here to kill us!”

I've taken some grief from other conservatives about my backing Rudy and it's mainly about abortion.

I supported Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush and not a lot has really changed on that front since 1981.

I'm tired of conservatives that over the last few years have threatened to sit out elections and not having a problem with Hellary.

For them I say...

"Let's grow up, conservatives. If we want to take this party back — and I think we can — let's get to work." --Barry Goldwater

That was spoke at the 1960 Republican Convention when he withdrew from the nomination and supported Richard Nixon.

Quin Hillyer, of the American Spectator, offers his take on that quote...

"Goldwater's message 47 years ago was that the conservative movement did not have the right to complain about not winning, because it had not done the work necessary to win — that it needed to 'grow up' and go out and earn its victories rather than griping all the time."

"I hear too much griping and not enough effort to find common cause and work on behalf of that cause, When everything looks grim, that's the time to let bygones be bygones and start rebuilding."

"It's not perfect. But it's so much better than the frightening prospect of Hillary Clinton in the White House that it behooves us not to tear down those candidates in the course of choosing a nominee. I'm not suggesting that we be Pollyannas. I am suggesting that we be realists with an upbeat and 'can do' attitude rather than defeatists."

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home