Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hard ticket to Hawaii


I may be a bad Iowan for this (and the scientific community is united in that fact).

I've booked a January 2008 vacation in Maui, our 15th straight year there.

It means if the caucuses remain as scheduled that Chris & I won't be attending.

All things considered, I'll be there on my 50th and it is winter in Iowa, I'd rather be in Maui.

50 in the 50th state!

I will be attending the Iowa Straw Poll next month in Ames.

It sounds as if January can't get here soon enough for some folks.

Enough Already!

Even in Iowa -- or maybe especially in Iowa -- American voters are saying it.

Enough with the candidates, the money, the television commercials, the talk of the campaign on the newspapers in the nightly news per the NEW YORK TIMES.

According to newsroom sources, many Iowans tell the
NEW YORK TIMES how all of this is just too much, too soon, and a little overwhelming.

"I'd like a two-week moratorium on this," Scott Roberts said in Clear Lake as he observed what normally is modest if energetic Independence Day parade crammed with observers, reporters and Secret Service agents as first Bill and Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney came through.

Several said they were worried that people would lose interest by the time the campaign actually started.

I've said all along that it was too much too soon.

Actually I'm sitting this caucus out as a protest to the over abundance of political activity.

It'll be a struggle, but I'll be making the sacrifice.

Think of it as civil disobedience.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home