Sunday, November 02, 2008

On the LOWcal level


Here's my take on a few State House races that I've found irritating.

Jerry Sullivan is the Mayor of Windsor Heights and is running TV spots where his friends tell you how wonderful he is.

I'm not impressed that someone who went to Dowling High School with you mentions that in a commercial.

His wife mentions how long they've been married, and I'm happy for them, but how does that equate to being a State Representative?

Two people brag about Sullivan balancing Windsor Heights budget seven years in a row, Sullivan's campaign and the Ragister say it's only six, especially when you've raised taxes to do so.

His ad then goes on to brag that he'll balance the state's budget without mentioning that the legislature is legally required to do so.



In my neck of the woods Maxine Bussanmas is making her second straight run for State Representative.

Ms. Bussanmas ran an ad in the Indianola Record and Old Weird Harold that mentioned her "vast experience as employee and small business owner".

Bussanmas stated "as a member of the Iowa House I will":

"Fight for affordable, accessible healthcare and prescriptions for all"

"Work for enhanced education to prepare students for the global employement opportunity of the future"

"Position Iowa a world leader in alternative energy technology and production"

"Continue to maintain a balance budget, while providing essential services to all"

"I will work hard to improve scholastic achievements, ensure accessible, affordable healthcare and ensure a strong economy for all of Iowa"

I can assure you that someone with such poor grammar skills will not be able to ensure educational improvements and the scientific community is united in that fact.

Dr. Alan Koslow wants to be the Doctor in the House and after my personal encounter with the doc, that's a wee bit frightening.

Koslow was the Vascular Surgeon on my spinal fusion ten years ago.

In laymen terms he made a six inch opening in my stomach and moved internal organs so the Orthopedic Surgeon could remove the bad disc, then he closed the incision.

The procedure was done on a Tuesday, which means I had no food or drink since the day before and I had to make sure my system was clean before they went in.

On Thursday, Koslow was concerned that I had not had a bowel movement and he was ordering a laxative.

WHAT?!

I told him nothing in, nothing out and I refused to take it. That made the nurses all laugh because they too knew how ridiculous that was.

By Friday he thought I was ready for some broth and everything came out fine, which allowed me to go home on Saturday.

Finally, there's a TV ad from Al Sorensen's opponent which has a picture, on the left, of Al with his name.

The problem is on the right they scroll Al's previous record and in doing so mispell his name as "Soresen", all the while his picture and name (correctly spelled) remain on the left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home