Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hard To Say I'm Sorry?


Why is it that most people in our modern society have a condition that does not allow for contrition?

In my encounters, personally and professionally, people will apologize, but that's just a way that they don't have to take ownership for their misdeeds and the scientific community is united in that fact.

Here are a couple of examples of what I write...

The Big Lug Nut gets called out for not putting out a statement about the Iowa State Cyclones big win at Nebraska, this is after his statement congratulating Iowa for their record win.

The BLN's reaction?

I’m...huge...” (OK, that's my bad on the editing and I apologize).

The Liter continues...

I’ve put out a lot of statements when they’ve won earlier in the year, and no one picked those up..."

He becomes defensive, confrontational and then issues this threat...

When the Clones go to a bowl and Iowa goes, maybe to the national championship game, I will be there for both of them rooting them on.”

I can hear the BOO birds now.

Your campaign better pick up the cost of those trips and your trooper protection too!

Then there's the incident involving the Drake-Ternus family (Ms. Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court)...

Mr. Drake copped to an Alford plea (so named for the onetime basketball coach of the Hawkeyes handling of Pierre Pierce?) for his part in the situation and said...

"...I apologize to anyone affected by my actions, including my children, and to my wife for the difficulty my actions have created for her as Chief Justice. ”

The son who was an instigator of the situation said...

"I want to take this opportunity to apologize to my parents for my behavior this summer. I made a poor decision, and recognize the impact this has had on both my mother and father...".

The Chief Justice?

This event and its aftermath have been difficult for me and our family. Just like all parents, we strive to raise our children to be responsible citizens. My husband and I have taken steps to ensure a similar event will not occur in the future. I want to take this opportunity to thank the many friends, colleagues and members of the community who appreciate the challenges faced by parents raising teenage children and who have been supportive of me and my family during this challenging time.”

We're supposed to feel sorry for them about a situation they created?

These things will happen as long as parents want to be their children's friends instead of their parents!

It says a lot that they never said they were sorry to the neighbors that complained about the noise coming from the Drake-Ternus property or to Iowans for this fiasco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home