Friday, August 18, 2006

I wish I had been wrong


Back on June 12 (I've got a bad feeling about this) I wrote about the trial in U.S. District Court between the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the National Security Agency(NSA), regarding that agencies terrorist surveillance program.

These were my concerns regarding presiding Judge Anna Diggs Taylor...

I don't think a 74 year old has the ability to keep up with the intricacies of the modern technology involved. 8 years ago she stepped down from her duties as Chief Judge of the District Court to reduce her workload. She was appointed to that position by Bill Clinton and originally put on the Court by Jimmy Carter.

Judge Taylor ruled yesterday that the NSA's program is unconstitutional, saying it violates the rights of free speech and privacy. Taylor also ordered an immediate halt to the program.

You had to be asleep at the wheel not to see this one coming!

The Department of Justice is appealing the ruling. A stay has been granted that will allow the program to continue while awaiting the results of the appeal. I believe Taylor's decision will be overturned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home