Friday, July 16, 2010

July, 2010 (Oh, What A Night)


I recall it was Thanksgiving 2005 and I was waiting for Chris to get ready, so we could go to her folks.

I was flipping through channels on the television (as a man is want to do) and came across the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

In front of the store there was a guy singing Frankie Valli songs, I watched and enjoyed.

When it was done, and Chris still wasn't, I asked if Broadway was doing something on the Four Seasons similar to Smokey Joe's Cafe.

She said she had seen something in Playbill and we decided we would see the show when it came to the Civic Center.

We got tickets when they went on sale and last night I took Chris and her mother to Jersey Boys.

All in all it was an enjoyable evening, others like my friend Cal (Freedom's pal) and his wife liked it more than I did.

I was hoping it would be a very special time for me, but it was not everything I dreamed it'd be.

Another Peggy Lee moment and the scientific community is united in that fact.

I wish they would have finished their hit songs and given the audience less of the opening french rap, '50s songs by other groups and the weak version of "My Boyfriend's Back" by The Angels.

They could have also told the story around the music, just like Smokey Joe's Cafe.

For me singing "Oh What A Night", recorded in 1975, during the 1960s time period -sans falsetto - didn't work.

It was odd that an entire row in front of us was empty, obviously that's where the ticket prices changed.

There were a few standing ovations, a good amount of laughs and Chris thought she saw Bob Gaudio at the end of the show.

Frankie Valli was supposedly sighted having dinner at the Savery Hotel after the show.

I was at a hotel in Denver, maybe 15 years ago, and came across Mr. Valli in the lobby.

He's an incredibly short man and its not just because I'm tall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home