Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Telephone Man


I've seen the television commercials and online billboards for Assurance Wireless offering eligible customers a FREE wireless phone and 250 FREE minutes of nationwide wireless voice service each month.

Nice deal if you can get it.

Assurance Wireless is brought to you by Virgin Mobile USA and is a Lifeline Assistance program supported by the Universal Service Fund.

The Universal Service Fund (USF) is a federal tax, of 15.5%, collected on your phone bill for each land line and cell line.

My understanding of the USF is that it is supposed to provide discounts for basic local telephone service and to ensure that everyone has access and pays reasonable rates.

I'm feeling like I'm being Universally Serviced not in a good way and the scientific community is united in that fact.

I've contacted Senator's Grassley and Harkin, and Congressman Latham to question why we're subsidizing the entire bill?

1 Comments:

Anonymous kbbl said...

They have paid tiers too — $5/month for 500 minutes & $20/month for 1000 minutes.

Would you actually feel better about the program if the company dropped the "free" plan from their offerings?

I can get fussing over gov't price mangling in principle, but I can't imagine you'd actually fume that the FCC likes sticking with flat-fee subsidies.

(My $.02 are always a flat fee.)

3:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home